Friday 24 January 2014

Mathematics and Additional Mathematics

Teachers
These two subjects are the love of mine in secondary school. I must really thank my sec one teacher, Ms Ho Li Yi [she left the school :,( after teaching us ]. She really inspired me a lot. Also, another math teacher of mine for two years, Mrs Tang, for being such an awesome teacher. There was once, without any prior booking for consultation, my friend and i needed her help with math and she just came out of a meeting. So we approached her and asked here if she was free, and she literally brought us straight to a table, placed her stuff away and immediately started the consultation. With such dedication, how can we bear to fail her?

Tuition 
I didnt like the way my sec two math teacher taught me, and so i did really badly for my mid years. And then, i was sent for tuition. THANK GOD for Mr Ho--my 3 years and more math tutor. I got an A1 for my sec two eoy^^He is SUPER DUPER GOOD TUTOR. I am going to continue with his tuition in JC. He teaches from Sec One to JC2, emath, amath, physics, chemistry, bio(lower sec). More about him below.

Results 
My results for math have always been excellent in upper secondary. If i am not wrong, ever since i entered upper secondary, all my tests and exams came back with an A1. My highest exam scored was 94.I have to admit, teachers really do matter, to me at least.

Tips for Math 
My method of studying math: PRACTICE. (That is why I recommend his tuition, more details below).
1. Topical TYS. Start in secondary 3. Finish each chapter. That's drilling.
2. I bought tuition worksheets from Ms Loi (www.exampapers.com.sg) which i find really useful. But i only recommend if you have a strong foundation in math because those worksheets are tough. Also, it is rather expensive so no point wasting money if you cant even handle tys.
3. Yearly TYS (note to parents: DO NOT buy in sec 3 or sec 4 unless the school didnt get it for their students). Only start doing this after prelims, and dont need to do all ten years)
4. Try other school's papers, your school would probably get it for you.
5. GET YOUR MATH RIGHT IN SECONDARY 3. DONT WAIT TILL SEC 4 TO CATCH UP. this warning goes out to all subjects but you would really regret in sec four if your math foundation isnt strong in secondary 3. Or at the very least catch up during the holidays. Just dont wait till secondary 4. it is too late because you wouldnt be able to manage.

About MR HO, the TUTOR. ( he didnt pay me to do this okay, neither did he tell me to do so. i just wanted to share because he is really a good tutor) 
Positives
1. He has a very big variety of worksheets and its endless practice because you can ask for more.
2. If he thinks you are weak, there will be homework, if you are not weak, then no homework! Unless you want then there will always be~
3. He will go through your test paper if you show it to him.
4. Also, he will give basic worksheets as starters. It is really one worksheet full of basic questions asked in different ways/different numbers. Although it is dreadful like mad, but you will remember the basics for the rest of your life. Drilling is the nicer word.
5. Then, he will give worksheets of your school's standard to prepare you for your school's exam (which i find practical).
6. You can eat in class. Because some students have no time for lunch and he would rather you eat than starve
7. If you are really tired, you can sleep. But that would mean staying back to make up for the time you slept.

NOT-SO-POSITIVE for students, GREAT and IDEAL for parents i think...
1. The tuition environment may not be suitable for some students. It is extremely quiet because no one talks. 2. It is more of a one to one tuition, just that he goes around to see if you need help.
3. He always extends my tuition time-.-" parents love it but students hates it. He extended mine for two hours before and no extra pay for him:( Usually he would extend about half an hour
4. You must never ever be late for his tuition. If you know you will be late, you must tell him before hand and not just come in late. He really hates late comers.
5. You cant leave early unless you have got a valid reason.
6. No such thing as listening to music in his class. Strictly banned since 2011. There is classical music in the background playing though.

Thats about it! You can email me for his contact, I am not sure if he is comfortable with me doing this at all...
email address: anonymousandmyjourney@gmail.com
Thanks for the read!
PS: This upload was actually yesterday's but my computer died before it could go up so yeap!

2 comments:

  1. hey! I came across this website and read your blog. Haha I think we have the same tuition teacher! :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha really? that's good to hear actually because to me, he is a really good tutor :)

      Delete